Main Article Content
During the month of Ramadan, Muslims are prohibited from eating and drinking for approximately 13-14 hours per day. This condition affected nutrient intake, frequency of eating and preferences for the type of food consumed. This study aimed to determine the description of eating patterns in nutrient intake, frequency of eating and food preferences before and after Ramadan fasting. This research was observational study with descriptive analysis design. Respondents in this study were students of Jenderal Soedirman University with the selection of subjects using purposive sampling method. The total respondents in this study were 56 people. The results showed that there was a decrease in the overall average intake of macronutrients (decrease in energy before Ramadan fasting from 1646, 95 kcal to 1595, 56 after Ramadan; protein 50.95 g before Ramadan fasting to 44.77 g; fat 69 .82 g to 68.03 g and carbohydrates 209.32 g to 207 g). The frequency of eating wasn’t change before and after fasting in Ramadan, which is an average of 2 times for the main meal and 1 time for an interlude. There were different in eating preferences before and during Ramadan Fasting, there were increased in consumption of vegetable side dishes, fruit, and calorie drinks during Ramadan Fasting. Fasting in Ramadan also affected the average weight loss from 75.55 kg to 74.08 kg. The conclusion of this study that was change in the picture of eating patterns from the consumption of macronutrient intake, food preferences before and after Ramadan fasting
- 1. Merryana Adriani SKM. 2016. Peranan gizi dalam siklus kehidupan. Prenada Media.
- 2. Saufika A, Retnaningsih R, Alfiasari A. 2012. Gaya hidup dan kebiasaan makan mahasiswa. J Ilmu Kel Konsum. 5(2):157–65.
- 3. Nurlita N, Mardiyati NL, Gz S. 2017. Pola konsumsi makanan cepat saji (fast food), status gizi dan kenaikan berat badan pada mahasiswa FIK dan FT Universitas Muhamammadiyah Surakarta. Universitas Muhammadiyah Surakarta.
- 4. Rusyadi S. 2017. Pola Makan Dan Tingkat Aktivitas Fisik Mahasiswa dengan Berat Badan Berlebih di Universitas Negeri Yogyakarta. SKripsi Progr Study Pendidik Tek Boga Fak Tek Univ Negeri Yogyakarta.
- 5. Kementrian Kesehatan. Profil Data Kesehatan Indonesia Tahun 2011 [Internet]. Jakarta: Kementerian Kesehatan RI. 2014. Available from: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&btnG=Search&q=intitle:Profil+Data+Kesehatan+Indonesia+Tahun+2011#0
- 6. Salehi M, Neghab M. 2007. Effects of fasting and a medium calorie balanced diet during the holy month Ramadan on weight, BMI and some blood parameters of overweight males. Pakistan J Biol Sci;10(6):968–71.
- 7. Ali Z, Abizari A-R. 2018. Ramadan fasting alters food patterns, dietary diversity and body weight among Ghanaian adolescents. Nutr J. 17(1):75.
- 8. Shalaei N, Motaghedi Larijani A, Mohajeri SAR, Norouzy A, Nematy M, Sheikhol Vaezin F, et al. 2013. Changes in dietary intake during Ramadan in north east of Iran population. J Fasting Heal;1(1):19–22.
- 9. Vollmer S, Harttgen K, Subramanyam M a, Finlay J, Klasen S, Subramanian S V. 2015. Association between economic growth and early childhood undernutrition: evidence from 121 Demographic and Health Surveys from 36 low-income and middle-income countries. Lancet Glob Heal [Internet]. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25103063
- 10. Yucel A, Degirmenci B, Acar M, Albayrak R, Haktanir A. 2004. The effect of fasting month of Ramadan on the abdominal fat distribution: assessment by computed tomography. Tohoku J Exp Med;204(3):179–87.
- 11. I S, Shamsuddin K, AL K, AS H, MO F. 2015. the Effect of Ramadan Weight Loss on Body Composition of Overweight and Obese Muslims in University Putra Malaysia. Int J Public Heal Clin Sci;2(1):61–8.
- 12. Sadiya A, Ahmed S, Siddieg HH, Babas IJ, Carlsson M. 2011. Effect of Ramadan fasting on metabolic markers, body composition, and dietary intake in Emiratis of Ajman (UAE) with metabolic syndrome. Diabetes, Metab Syndr Obes targets Ther;4:409.
- 13. Attarzadeh Hosseini SR, Sardar MA, Hejazi K, Farahati S. 2013. The effect of ramadan fasting and physical activity on body composition, serum osmolarity levels and some parameters of electrolytes in females. Int J Endocrinol Metab;11(2):88–94.
- 14. Haouari-Oukerro F, Ben-Attia M, Kaâbachi N, Haouari M. 2013. Ramadan fasting influences on food intake consumption, sleep schedule, body weight and some plasma parameters in healthy fasting volunteers. African J Biotechnol;12(21).
- 15. Kordi R, Abdollahi M, Memari AH, Najafabadi MG. 2011. Investigating two different training time frames during Ramadan fasting. Asian J Sports Med;2(3 SPEC. ISSUE):205–10.
- 16. Rafie C, Sohail M. 2016. Fasting during Ramadan: nutrition and health impacts and food safety recommendations.
- 17. Hsouna H, Abdessalem R, Boukhris O, Trabelsi K, Chtourou L, Tahri N, et al. 2019. Short-term maximal performance, alertness, dietary intake, sleep pattern and mood states of physically active young men before, during and after Ramadan observance. PLoS One;14(6):e0217851.
- 18. Khan A, Khattak M. 2002. Islamic fasting: An effective strategy for prevention and control of obesity. Pakistan J Nutr;1(14):185–7.
- 19. Khairiyah EL. 2016. Pola Makan Mahasiswa Fakultas Kedokteran dan Ilmu Kesehatan (FKIK) UIN Syarif Hidayatullah Jakarta Tahun 2016. Jakarta: FKIK UIN Jakarta
- 20. Septiana P, Nugroho FA, Wilujeng CS. 2018. Konsumsi junk food dan serat pada remaja putri overweight dan obesitas yang indekos. J Kedokt Brawijaya. 30(1):61–7.
- 21. Schroeter C, House LA. 2015. Fruit and vegetable consumption of college students: what is the role of food culture? J Food Distrib Res;46(3):131.
- 22. Damanik SIS. 2017. Pola Konsumsi Pangan dan Asupan Gizi Sebelum dan Selama Puasa Ramadan pada Dewasa Muda di Bogor. Bogor: Repository IPB.